8 steps to start your day
Creating a morning routine that suits you and your lifestyle is so important.
But most importantly, simply having a morning routine can really set you up for the rest of the day.
If I fail to do at least a couple things from my routine then I am cranky and generally less tolerable of anything or anyone.
This is a rough guide, sometimes things don’t happen in order but the first thing I ALWAYS do when I get out of bed is drink my filtered water.
- Wake up –> CHANT ‘Thank You Thank you Thank you’ (being grateful to the universe for another day)
- Drink 2-3 glasses of filtered water (some days one glass with lemon)
- Grab some coconut oil and begin oil pulling (see more info below)
- Dry brush (see more info below)
- 20-30 minutes of yoga or light exercise
- Take my wholefood supplements
- Breakfast – Smoothies are almost always on the menu
- Play time
I only added one new healthy ritual a week to begin with so I didn’t overwhelm myself.
But, the two MAIN healthy rituals I want to share with you are Oil Pulling and Dry Brushing.
When I first started oil pulling, it made me gag A LOT for the first couple weeks, but that soon passed.
My mouth already feels cleaner, my teeth and gums are definitely less sensitive to cold/hot foods, I think my teeth are looking whiter, I should have taken before and after photos but never thought about it before I started.
What is oil pulling?
Oil Pulling involves placing a tablespoon of organic cold pressed oil (I use Coconut Oil) into your mouth and swishing it around for about 15-20 minutes before spitting it in the bin, make sure you DO NOT swallow the oil as you will ingest the toxins you are trying to remove. I started with a teaspoon and only 5 minutes of swishing and I think that was a great place to start. After spitting out the oil, brush your teeth with a natural toothpaste and then thoroughly rinse your mouth out. Sounds pretty easy right? I also add a drop of Therapeutic Grade Peppermint or Lemon Essential Oil.
Benefits of oil pulling
- Whiter Teeth – The oil possesses natural antibiotic and antiviral properties that can brighten and clean your teeth.
- Promotes oral hygiene – while minimizing bad breath it is also highly effective at reducing tooth cavities by removing bad bacteria and other microorganisms.
- Detoxes our body – Our mouths are essentially the gateway to the body for germs and when germs contaminate our bodies that can lead to inflammation and possible disease and illnesses. So regular oil pulling will help remove the toxins before they get a chance to spread.
What is Dry Brushing?
Dry skin brushing is when you use a plant bristle brush (i like this one) and use long upward movements towards the heart starting from your feet and try to brush each area around 5-7 times before having a warm shower or nice relaxing bath. Be sure to moisturise afterwards, I like to use coconut oil or if I am short for time Acure Ultra-Hydrating Body Lotion as it quickly absorbs.
Benefits of Dry Brushing
- Increase blood circulation and the function of the lymphatic system.
- Removes dead skin cells and reduces the appearance of cellulite
- Strengthen the skin pores by assisting with increased skin tone
- Makes your skin glow and you feel more energized.
I was lucky I didn’t get many stretch marks while I was pregnant but after having Kainan I did end up with cellulite on my bottom, which has drastically reduced and I believe dry brushing has been a huge factor in that.
I find all of these little rituals make me feel more energized and give me a great start to the day.
I would love to hear from you, how do your mornings start?
Have you ever tried oil pulling?? please let me know below xx
Want to be the first to know about latest recipes, wellness posts, giveaways or any freebies, you can sign up here.
This post contains affiliate links. This means if you purchase products through these links you still pay the same price but I receive a small commission. I only link to products that I use and love and this helps cover some of the costs of blogging.